Nephrology is a specialty that diagnoses and manages kidney diseases, acid-base and electrolyte abnormalities. The objective of our service is to obtain early diagnosis of kidney disease and to prevent progression of kidney failure. The service is further divided into general nephrology, dialysis and renal transplantation.
This refers to diseases of the kidney which would have the presenting symptoms or laboratory abnormalities
- Frothy urine
- Ankle edema
- Protein, blood cells, white cells or crystal in urine
- Renal function abnormalities (elevated serum creatinine, abnormal creatinine clearance)
- Abnormal electrolyte (sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphate, magnesium, etc) or acid-base (bicarbonate)
We also manage specific kidney diseases:
- Diabetic nephropathy
- Glomerulonephritis (e.g. minimal change disease, IgA nephropathy, focal segmental Glomerulonephritis, lupus nephritis etc.)
- Hypertensive nephropathy
- Renal artery stenosis, hypertension, renal vein thrombosis
- Kidney stones
- Interstitial nephritis or fibrosis
- Renal failure (acute or chronic)
- Inherited disease (Polycystic kidney disease, Alport disease)
We assess patients for choice of hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Individual plan of renal replacement will be tailor-made.
We provide optimization of graft function for renal transplant recipients in the area of rejection prevention, recurrence of primary renal disease and diagnosis of related viral infection. We offer timely work up for living-related transplant donors.
Procedures / Operation
- Hemodialysis catheter insertion
- Tenchkoff catheter insertion for peritoneal dialysis (collaborate with urologist)
- Renal biopsy
(Services will be launched by phases)